- About Us
Advanced Seismic Training
DETAILS AND DESCRIPTION
San Francisco, California
October 16-18, 2017
$4,500 for all sessions
Details and Description
Solving Seismic/Dynamic Problems Using FLAC and FLAC3D
**A dynamic model of a pulse wave – originating from a tunnel.
Register by July 1 For the Early Bird Discount
Itasca is pleased to announce the first in a series of advanced training sessions that will include instruction by highly experienced engineering consultants, hands-on modeling exercises*, and open discussion with other attendees regarding best practices.
There are four sessions. You can choose to attend one or all depending on your interest and experience. There is a range of topics from a one-day FLAC and FLAC3D introductory session through to advanced constitutive models for seismic analysis.
The four sessions are:
- Monday: An Introduction to/Review of FLAC and FLAC3D
- Intended for those who have never used Itasca software or are interested in a refresher session
- Mechanical modeling
- Fluid flow modeling
- Structural elements
- FISH scripting
- Factor of safety
- Automated rezoning
- Tuesday: Dynamic Modeling using FLAC/FLAC3D
- Learn about the best tools and practices for dynamic modeling analyses
- Grid generation tools for dynamic models (Building Blocks, BlockRanger, Griddle)
- Dynamic boundary conditions (Quiet vs Free-field)
- Ground motion processing
- Accounting for inertial effect of water
- Developing pseudo-static springs for uncoupled structural analyses
- Examples: Pile supported wharf, vertical shaft, underground tunnel
- Wednesday, Morning: Liquefaction
- Introduction to basic liquefaction models for susceptibility and deformation analyses
- Finn-Byrne model
- Examples: Evaluation of liquefaction remediation options using 3D analyses
- Wednesday, Afternoon: Advanced Constitutive Models for Soils
- Use popular, comprehensive models for advanced liquefaction analyses and application
- UBCSAND Model (2D)
- PM4SAND model (2D)
- SANISAND Model (3D)
- PH Model (2D/3D)
- Examples: Embankment dam
Detailed pricing information is available on the registration form.
If you choose to attend all four sessions, the price will be discounted to US$4,500.
There is no academic discount available for this course.
*A temporary USB license key will be provided to each attendee for use during training.
Dr. Zorica Radaković-Guzina's is a Senior Engineer focused on the areas of structural dynamics, non-destructive characterization of concrete, damage mechanics, and wave propagation. She is responsible for FORTRAN and C/C++ programming development and support for Itasca's FLAC and FLAC3D software, and she assists with the development and testing of the Graphical Interface for Itasca Codes (GIIC).
Dr. Varun is a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with specialization in earthquake engineering and soil dynamics. He has experience with analytical and numerical modeling and has been involved with projects related to seismic hazard mitigation for waterfront structures, dynamic response of foundations, site response, and soil-structure interaction
Dr. Azadeh Riahi is a Senior Engineer and Consultant with a Ph.D. in computational mechanics. Her research focuses on numerical analysis and software development pertinent to problems concerning oil and gas, geothermal, mining, civil, and mechanical applications. Azadeh is a Registered Professional Engineer in Canada. She is also recognized as an American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA) future leader.
What to Bring?
Each participant must have a computer with administrative rights and Windows 7, 8, or 10.
Executive Conference Center
55 Fourth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103United States