- About Us
Itasca specializes in site assessment, data analysis, evaluation of impacts to water resources, selection of remediation systems, and implementation of remedial actions that lead to closure of sites where contaminated soil and groundwater are encountered.
- Hydrogeologic Site Investigations
- Mining hydrology and dewatering investigations
- Evaluation of groundwater and surface-water resources
- Delineation of contaminant Sources
- Design and installation of test, production, and monitoring Wells
- Design and analysis of well and aquifer tests
- Expert witness, second opinion, and litigation support
- Regulatory Support for Permit and Compliance Issues
- Assessing Fate of Chemicals in the Environment
- Implementation of Field Investigations
- Remediation of Groundwater and Soil
- Expert Witness
Itasca provides consulting services in groundwater and surface-water hydrology, contaminant hydrogeology, and aqueous geochemistry. Itasca works with mining and industrial companies, government agencies, law firms, and as a specialist to other consulting firms.
With respect to environmental studies, Itasca specializes in site assessment, data analysis, evaluation of impacts to water resources, selection of remediation systems, and implementation of remedial actions that lead to closure of sites where contaminated soil and groundwater are encountered. Our staff of hydrogeologists, geochemists, and engineering geologists has extensive experience working with regulatory agencies to achieve practical, cost-effective solutions to a broad range of environmental problems. We provide services that range from sampling of soils and water to constructing detailed models to assess the fate of chemicals in the environment. Our experience ranges from recommendations on approaches to remediate small diesel spills to detailed hydrologic and geochemical modeling for Superfund sites.
We have also completed many investigations of mine dewatering and the subsequent formation of “pit lakes,” and assessed their impact on the quantity and quality of water resources as part of Environmental Assessments (EAs), Environmental Impact Statements (EISs), and mine closure plans. The strong technical background and extensive experience of our staff allows us to provide clients with technical overview (second opinions) and testimony as expert witnesses.
Itasca has vast experience in the use of hydrogeologic and geochemical models for environmental and mining applications. We have developed MINEDW, sophisticated, three-dimensional, finite-element, groundwater flow software specifically for mining applications. MINEDW is in use world wide for designing dewatering or depressurization systems, predicting local and regional environmental impacts of mine dewatering, assisting in the design of water supply systems, simulating the infilling of a “pit lake” after mining ceases, and estimating pore pressure distributions within highwalls used for geotechnical design purposes.We are also well versed and widely experienced in the use of other codes for analysis of saturated and unsaturated groundwater flow, chemical transport, and surface water systems.
Our expertise also includes the use of geochemical models to evaluate impacts on the quality of local and regional water resources, to assist in predicting chemical characteristics of “pit lakes,” and to evaluate the potential development of acid-rock drainage and metals leaching.
Itasca has extensive experience conducting field and laboratory investigations for acquiring hydrogeologic and geochemical data, including:
- Conducting field sampling of water, rock, and soil chemistry
- Installing pumping wells, point piezometers (both surface and underground), and multi-level monitoring systems
- Conducting field tests (air-lift, pumping, injection, packer tests, etc.) for estimating aquifer hydraulic parameters
- Installing surface-water monitoring systems
- Characterizing mine wastes to evaluate the potential development of acid-rock drainage and metals leaching using laboratory and field-scale testing
- Collecting and evaluating operational data from soil and groundwater remediation systems
- Prediction and analysis of mining impacts on local and regional surface water and groundwater systems
- Development of environmental impact remediation strategies for permitting and closure
- Support for environmental permitting, permit renewals, and regulatory compliance
- Closure of mine facilities
- Design of monitoring systems